Line Of Business: RMC (Ready-Mix Concrete)
Primary Location: Birmingham-AL
Pay Class: Hourly
The Company and the Role:
Sherman Concrete is seeking qualified Ready Mix Drivers. We are looking for drivers in the following locations: Birmingham, Montevallo, Rainbow City, Jasper and Alexander City area. Ready Mix Drivers receive competitive hourly pay plus a load bonus.
This position is eligible for a $1500 sign-on bonus (paid upon successful completion of probationary period) .
Sherman Concrete is a part of Lehigh Hanson, Inc. Lehigh Hanson is one of the largest construction materials companies in North America with more than 550 active operations in the U.S. and Canada. Our core activities include the production and distribution of cement and aggregates, the two essential raw materials in concrete. Lehigh Hanson companies also produce ready-mixed concrete, asphalt and other concrete products.
Lehigh Hanson is part of the HeidelbergCement Group, a global leader in aggregates, cement, concrete, and other downstream activities. The Group employs over 60,000 people at more than 3,000 locations in 60 countries.
As a Ready Mix Driver you will deliver concrete to job sites following safety and operational guidelines; check concrete for quality and size according to ticket; and maintain courteous customer relations.
Sherman Concrete operates 18 ready mixed concrete plants throughout Alabama. With more than 85 mixer trucks and 125 dedicated employees, Sherman has provided a quality ready mix product since 1934. As part of Lehigh Hanson, Inc., one of the largest construction materials companies in North America, Sherman has access to the most knowledgeable experts in the industry. Sherman Concrete can provide a wide range of ready mixed concrete products to meet the requirements for all commercial, industrial, paving, residential and DIY projects.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Female / Veteran / Disabled
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Safely drive truck to and from destination applying knowledge of DOT driving regulations and area roads
• Check loads to ensure product is being hauled in an appropriate and safe manner
• Estimate slump of concrete
• Verify directions with plant personnel before leaving the plant to ensure delivery to the correct customer and job site
• Strive to meet customer expectations
• Keep equipment in acceptable condition of cleanliness using approved cleaning materials and supplies
• Maintain radio contact with supervisor/dispatch to receive and transmit delivery instructions
• Assist other company employees as needed
• Complete pre and post trip inspections on truck equipment and supplies, such as tires, lights brakes, gas, fuel, oil, and water
• May perform minor repairs, such as installing light bulbs.
• Maintain good working knowledge of the traffic routes of the city
• Must be able to take orders, instructions, and guidance from supervisors and management
• Adhere to all company, DOT and OSHA rules and regulations at all times
• Perform other job responsibilities as assigned
Current Class B CDL with no suspensions, failure to appear, etc.; valid medical card; prefer previous experience operating a mixer truck; reading, writing and basic math skills; self-motivation and a positive attitude.
Required to stand and walk for extended periods of time; use hands to operate tools and controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs/ladders and balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear. Regularly lift and/or move more than 50 pounds.
Must be available to work Monday – Saturday, occasional Sundays (Hours will vary as dictated by business needs)
Benefits & Compensation:
Lehigh Hanson offers comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, short and long term disability, 401k, uniforms and paid holidays and vacation.
No search firms please.
Employer Statement: Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority / Female / Veteran / Disabled